Mechanics Lien

Statutory Requirements of KRS 376.270, KRS 376.280 & KRS 424.130:

  1. Any boat or motor vehicle remaining in the possession of a person engaged in the business of selling, repairing or furnishing supplies for vehicles, and to whom the charges for such repairs, labor or supplies have been owed for a period of more than thirty (30) days, may have the vehicle sold to pay for the accrued charges.
  2. The proposed sale notice shall be sent by certified mail, return receipt requested or by registered mail to the owner of the vehicle and to any other person known to have any interest in the vehicle. The notice shall be sent at least ten (10) days before the sale is held.
  3. An advertisement of the motor vehicle sale shall be published in a local newspaper once a week for three (3) consecutive weeks. The advertisement shall include the vehicle model year, make, vehicle identification number, name of owner(s) and lien holder(s), and the name, address, and phone number of the selling/repair business.
  4. A mechanic's lien created by KRS 376.270 is superior to an already perfected security interest in compliance with OAG 63-41.

In compliance with the statutory requirements above, the following documents are required from the purchaser of a vehicle sold under a Mechanic's lien when applying for a title:

  1. An Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Sale (TC96-159) completed by the seller.
  2. A Bill of Sale from the repair company on the company's letterhead (See KRS 186.200)
    • Bill of Sale must include the year, make, and VIN of the vehicle
  3. Application for Title and Registration (TC96-182)
    • The repair company completes the seller/transferor section
    • The buyer completes the buyer/transferee section
  4. Affidavit of publication from the newspaper affirming that the advertisements were published
    • Attach a copy of the advertisement
  5. The certified mail receipt (green/white slip) and the return receipt (green postcard) from each certified letter or registered mail verification.
  6. Sheriff's inspection is required if the vehicle is from out of state or not currently titled in Kentucky.

To print any of the forms listed above, visit:

Scroll to Top