Buying or Selling a Kentucky Titled Vehicle
What you will need:
- Original Kentucky Title
- Proof of current Kentucky liability insurance in the buyer's name for the purchased vehicle. Effective date must be within the last 45 days.
- Picture identification for buyer and seller. (If buyer and/or seller will not be present in our office, an application must be signed and notarized prior to transfer.)
- Social Security Number for each new owner(s) appearing on the title, KY drivers license number or Federal Tax ID Number for companies
- Title Lien Statement if applicable TC96-187
- Titles printed prior to 3/1/2000 will also require an Application for Title (TC96-182).
- TITLE ONLY transfers require that plates be surrendered to the county clerk at the time of transfer.
All liens must be terminated prior to transfer
A 6% Kentucky road usage tax is collected on the retail price. The retail price is either the purchase price or the NADA retail price. If taxing on the purchase price, the seller must disclose the purchase price on the application, sign as seller and have notarized (taxable value cannot be less than 50% of the NADA "trade in" value).
Title fee: $17.00
Notary fee: $2.00 if we notarize
Plate fee: $21.00 Lien filing fee if applicable: $22.00
Late lien filing penalty if applicable: $2.00
Any delinquent property tax owed may prohibit title/registration.
Special plates are available for additional fees. Click here to see our special plates.
Property tax for your vehicles, trailers and boats are assessed by the Property Valuation Administrator on January 1st of each year. You are responsible for property tax on any vehicle registered to you on January 1.